Spring Has Sprung – Time for healthy, fresh and delicious recipes
Posted on May 03 2017
There is something about spring that makes us feel renewed. The weather starts to be milder, the sun feels warmer and there is the proverbial added spring in our step. It is also during this time of year that we feel like eating lighter, steering away from hearty stews that are a staple of fall and winter and going towards fresh and easy springtime fare.
Here are two easy and light recipes that reflect springtime’s fresh approach to mealtime. Hope you enjoy.
Creamy Cucumber Springtime Salad
- 4 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced (you can leave peel on or remove)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1/3 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for approximately 4 hours. Serve chilled.
Avocado and Pine Nut Salad
- 4 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps. shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps. sweet white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups Boston lettuce (or you can choose your favorite type of lettuce or combine a few of your favorites)
- 2 cups radicchio
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
Combine first eight ingredients in a large bowl. Add lettuce, radicchio, avocados and pine nuts. Toss and serve.